Fashion mogul begins trial facing sexual assault charges
From the late 1980s to 2005, they alleged Mr Nygard, 82, used his “power and status” to assault five women.
Prosecutors said he lured the women, who were aged 16 to 28, into a private bedroom in his company’s Toronto headquarters.
All charges against Mr Nygard have been denied.
Earlier this week, he pleaded not guilty to five counts of sexual assault and one count of forcible confinement.
On Tuesday, Crown attorney Ana Serban accused Mr Nygard of using his wealth to lure and sexually assault young women in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
She said the young women were offered jobs or tours to lure them to his Toronto offices.
“Behind all the trappings of success and power, there’s a bedroom suite with a giant bed… and a bar and doors,” according to AFP.
Once the women were trapped in that room, she claimed Mr Nygard would attack them.
The Ontario trial is expected to last at least six weeks, and all five plaintiffs are expected to testify.
The once flowing blonde mane was now gray, pulled back in a bun, and ghostly pale as he was wheeled into court on Tuesday.
Furthermore, Mr Nygard faces sex-related charges in Manitoba, Quebec, and the United States.
Once his criminal cases in Canada are completed, he will be extradited to the US for trial in Quebec next year.
Authorities report that the multimillionaire engaged in “a decades-long pattern of criminal conduct involving at least dozens of victims” throughout the US, Canada, and other countries.